The best VA loan lenders in Pennsylvania issue home loans to military members and other qualifying individuals at lower interest rates than traditional loans. Veterans Affairs loans are provided by private lenders but come with a guarantee by the federal government that promises to repay a portion of the loan or the entire balance in the event the borrower defaults.
This decreases the risk the lender undertakes by giving the loan, resulting in lower interest rates and sometimes zero down payments. Favorable terms and reduced credit requirements make VA loans a great option for buyers to find approval for a home loan that they otherwise may not qualify for.
Find out more about the requirements to take out a VA loan and how to begin the application process.
Best VA (Veterans Affairs) Loan Lenders in Pennsylvania 2023: Reviews and Rankings
- Veterans United Home Loans: Best Overall VA Loan Lender in Pennsylvania
- Quicken Loans by Rocket Mortgage: Best Pa Provider for Online VA Loan Processing
- USAA: Best Veterans Affairs Loan Provider for Low-Cost Fees in Pennsylvania
- Navy Federal Credit Union: Best VA Loan Lender for a First-Time Buyer in Pa
- PenFed Credit Union: Best Lender for Competitive Pennsylvania VA Loan Rates
Honorable Pa Mentions:
1. Veterans United Home Loans – Best Overall VA Loan Lender in Pennsylvania
Pros of VA Loans from Veterans United Home Loans in Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Allentown, and More:
- Great loan variety
- Free credit consulting service
- Customer service available 24/7
- Has advisors from all branches of the military
- Convenient online prequalification and application
Cons of VA Loans from Veterans United Home Loans in Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Allentown, and More:
- Higher fees than other companies
- In-person service not available in all states
- No home equity loans or lines of credit
One of the biggest advantages of Veterans United Home Loans is the variety of loans available. They service nearly every type of loan that falls under the VA program, making them one of the largest VA loan lenders in the nation. They have an easy application process that can be done online and 24/7 customer service to help you whenever you need it.
Veterans United Home Loans Pennsylvania VA Loan Cost: 3.9/5
The loan cost from Veterans United Home Loans runs a little higher than other lenders. You can get a quote either online or by phone. Loan fees and cost information for some loan types are difficult to find on their website.
Range of VA Loans Offered by Veterans United Home Loans in Pa: 4.8/5
Veterans United Home Loans is one of the best VA loan lenders due in part to its extensive range of loan options. Apply for both fixed and adjustable loans, jumbo loans, cash-out refinance loans, and IRRRL loans. The only types that they don’t service are home equity loans and HELOCs.
You can even borrow additional funds for eco-friendly and energy-efficient improvements such as solar panels.
Veterans United Home Loans’ Experience with Pennsylvania VA Loans: 4.8/5
Veterans United Home Loans offers many types of loans but specializes in VA loans. They also have advisors from every military branch available to offer help and advice. Veterans United processes a large volume of VA loans, gaining expertise and experience to make the process easier for you. They are a fantastic option for military personnel and provide trustworthy services.
Veterans United Home Loans Pa Customer Service: 5/5
Phone customer service is available 24/7, giving you access to help from a representative whenever you need it. There is also an abundance of resources and educational material on the website.
Overall Score of Veterans United Home Loans VA Loans in Pennsylvania: 4.6/5
2. Quicken Loans by Rocket Mortgage – Best Pa Provider for Online VA Loan Processing
Pros of VA Loans from Quicken Loans by Rocket Mortgage in Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Allentown, and More:
- Online application
- Online verification of employment and income data
- Great for those who prefer self-service
- Customized fixed-rate terms
Cons of VA Loans from Quicken Loans by Rocket Mortgage in Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Allentown, and More:
- Fees on the high side
- No visit-in-person branch offices
- Average mortgage rates
If you like the fast access and convenience of submitting your application online, then Quicken Loans by Rocket Mortgage is an excellent choice. They offer an entirely digital application and approval process. You can even upload documents for review.
Get quick approvals for several VA loans and choose your custom terms that match your budget and needs.
Quicken Loans by Rocket Mortgage Pennsylvania VA Loan Cost: 3.8/5
The fees and rates for Quicken loans tend to range on the high side. You have several options to balance the upfront fees with the mortgage rate. You can pay higher fees upfront to potentially lower your mortgage rate by purchasing discount points, or choose to save the cash you have on hand and opt for higher rates over the term of your loan.
Range of VA Loans Offered by Quicken Loans by Rocket Mortgage in Pa: 4.8/5
Quicken Loans has a good range of types available but doesn’t provide home equity loans or lines of credit. One of its biggest advantages for customers is the option to choose your loan terms from a range of 8 to 29 years. This flexibility keeps them highly ranked by customers.
Quicken Loans by Rocket Morgage’s Experience with Pennsylvania VA Loans: 4/5
Quicken Loans offers VA home loans as one of their many loan services. While VA loans aren’t a primary focus or specialty, you can expect superior customer service no matter what loan you are applying for.
Quicken Loans by Rocket Mortgage Pa Customer Service: 5/5
The convenience of the online application is an excellent feature for many customers that prefer digital access. If you prefer to speak with a representative by phone, you will be assigned a loan officer to assist you through the entire loan application and approval process.
Overall Score of Quicken Loans by Rocket Mortgage VA Loans in Pennsylvania: 4.4/5
3. USAA – Best Veterans Affairs Loan Provider for Low-Cost Fees in Pennsylvania
Pros of VA Loans from USAA in Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Allentown, and More:
- No fees aside from origination fee
- Access USAA Real Estate network
- Customer satisfaction is high
- Available in all 50 states
Cons of VA Loans from USAA in Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Allentown, and More:
- Must be either a military member or military spouse
- Unable to apply fully online
- Alternative forms of credit not accepted
At USAA, you will only pay a one-time origination fee. The company pays for other common fees charged to customers including the appraisal. You can select from a wide range of loans, ensuring that there is an option that fits your needs.
USAA has many years of experience servicing VA loans and can guide you through the entire process. However, the lack of a full online application can be a nuisance to some customers.
USAA Pennsylvania VA Loan Cost: 4.8/5
Unlike some other lenders, USAA won’t charge you any loan fees beyond the 1% origination fee that is mandated by the VA. You won’t be hit with unexpected fees that strain your budget.
Range of VA Loans Offered by USAA: in Pa: 4/5
There is a wide range of loans available, but you must complete the application process by phone. It’s possible to find out your eligibility and get pre-approved for an estimated amount online, but you can’t submit a full application this way.
USAA’s Experience with Pennsylvania VA Loans: 4.4/5
USAA is a trustworthy loan servicer that is a good option for your VA loan. Customer satisfaction is typically high and they also have an A+ rating from BBB.
USAA Pa Customer Service: 3.8/5
The online process to prequalify for a loan is quick, but some customers may find the need to complete the application process by a phone call with a loan officer an unnecessary inconvenience.
Overall Score of USAA VA Loans in Pennsylvania: 4.2/5
4. Navy Federal Credit Union – Best VA Loan Lender for a First-Time Buyer in Pa
Pros of VA Loans from Navy Federal Credit Union in Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Allentown, and More:
- Zero down payment
- Option to get $9,000 cashback
- Locked-in rates
Cons of VA Loans from Navy Federal Credit Union in Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Allentown, and More:
- Restricted to military members, spouses, and some federal employees
- No customized rates
- Minimum credit score required is undisclosed upfront
One of the best VA loan lenders for first-time homebuyers is Navy Federal Credit Union. They can help you qualify for a mortgage even if you don’t meet all of the minimum requirements for a VA loan.
The loans offered have fixed or special interest rates and zero mortgage insurance premiums, and offer 100% financing. Another benefit is the credit union’s willingness to look at alternative credit data to help buyers qualify.
Navy Federal Credit Union Pennsylvania VA Loan Cost: 4.5/5
You may qualify for special interest rates or be able to waive the funding fee in exchange for a higher interest rate. This can help you lower the amount of cash you need upfront so you can secure the loan. Navy Federal Credit Union also offers a rate match guarantee.
Range of VA Loans Offered by Navy Federal Credit Union in Pa: 3.8/5
Choose between two options for your VA loan: the HomeBuyers Choice Mortgage or the Military Choice Mortgage. Navy Federal Credit Union’s loans are geared toward first-time buyers and those who don’t meet the minimum requirements of a VA loan.h
Navy Federal Credit Union’s Experience with Pennsylvania VA Loans: 4/5
Navy Federal Credit Union is a good choice for military personnel as they specialize in VA home loans. They also have branches throughout the United States as well as overseas to offer assistance.
Navy Federal Credit Union Pa Customer Service: 3.9/5
There are several options to contact customer service, including online chat, via phone or in person at a branch. Customer reviews span a wide range, from fully satisfied to frustration over long wait times and poor service.
Overall Score of Navy Federal Credit Union VA Loans in Pennsylvania: 4/5
5. PenFed Credit Union – Best Lender for Competitive Pennsylvania VA Loan Rates
Pros of VA Loans from PenFed Credit Union in Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Allentown, and More:
- No lender fees
- Discounts for members
- Available in all 50 states and additional countries
Cons of VA Loans from PenFed Credit Union in Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Allentown, and More:
- VA loans carry additional fees
- No FHA or home improvement loans
- Won’t consider alternative data
- Current rates unavailable to view without a quote
PenFed Credit Union is one of the best VA loan lenders and stands out as the choice for competitive loan rates. Both rates and fees are typically lower with PenFed than other lenders. Choose from a wide range of VA loans and apply online. You need to be a member to apply, but anyone is eligible to join.
PenFed Credit Union Pennsylvania VA Loan Cost: 4.5/5
PenFed offers competitive loan rates and no lender fees. However, you could be charged fees for your VA loan for the title, appraisal, VA funding, and tax services. You may be able to qualify for member discounts up to $2,500.
Range of Loans Offered by PenFed Credit Union in Pa: 4/5
PenFed offers standard VA loan options, but they differ in that anyone that opens a savings account with this credit union is eligible to apply. They also service conventional mortgages and financing for second homes for military members.
PenFed Credit Union’s Experience with Pennsylvania VA Loans: 4/5
PenFed has been a trusted lender since it was established in 1935. While the institution handles many VA loans, they are not the only focus. You still get access to an easy application and guided assistance no matter what loan service you choose.
PenFed Credit Union Pa Customer Service: 3.5/5
There are many resources to help you improve your finances and make better decisions about your money on the PenFed website. You can also call to speak to a loan officer, although customer service reviews are mixed.
Overall Score of VA Loans from PenFed Credit Union in Pennsylvania: 4/5
Honorable Pennsylvania Mentions:
How We Selected the Best VA Loan Lenders in Pennsylvania
Taking out a home loan is a big decision. VA loans can help to make acquiring a home loan more accessible by reducing costs and offering favorable terms. Finding the right lender that provides the loan type you require and terms that fit your budget takes research.
We have looked at some of the top lenders and compared the features that customers desire most to determine which lenders are the best. The criteria we examined include:
- Rates and fees – origination fees and overall cost of obtaining the loan
- Experience with VA loans – emphasis on companies that process VA loans as a major part of their business operations
- Accessibility – how easy the loan application process is and the availability of online resources
- Qualifying criteria – the minimum credit score, down payment, and other criteria of obtaining a loan
- Types of loans available – the range of loans and services offered
- Customer service – the level of satisfaction that customers report
Get the most from your home loan by selecting a reputable lender that can guide you through the process, answer your questions, and help you choose the loan that matches your needs and situation.
Best Pennsylvania VA Loan Lenders Buying Guide
There is a lot of information to consider when you decide to take out a home loan. A better understanding of VA home loans is crucial to making the right financial decisions for you and your family. These frequently asked questions will help you gain greater insight into the VA loan process and the requirements to qualify.
What Is a VA Loan?
VA loans have government backing, making them a lower-risk service to offer to borrowers. This helps to keep costs low and gives borrowers with less-than-perfect credit a higher chance of getting approved.
With no down payment for eligible borrowers, lenient refinancing options, and mortgage relief options, VA loans are an excellent alternative to traditional mortgages for qualifying individuals.
What Is the Cost of a VA Loan in Pennsylvania?
The bulk of your loan consists, of course, of the value of the home you purchase. The amount you qualify for varies according to your financial details and what your lender will approve.
The interest rate for your VA loan is set by your lender, but they are normally lower than conventional mortgages. The rates fluctuate depending upon the current market and the type of loan you take out.
Closing costs are another sum that you can expect to pay. The exact amount depends upon your specific situation. Real estate commissions, appraisals, and title fees are all common closing costs.
The VA Funding Fee ranges from 1.4% to 3.6% and is a non-negotiable fee. You can choose to pay this fee as part of the closing costs or finance the amount and pay it over time with the balance of your loan. Some veterans may be eligible to have this fee waived if they were disabled due to their time in service or received the Purple Heart as an active service member.
It’s difficult to give an average on the price of a VA loan since home values and loan terms can vary widely. Your best strategy is to speak with a loan officer to get an estimate of your pre-approval amount and discuss the terms you qualify for.
How Do I Qualify for a VA Loan in Pennsylvania?
One of the first questions asked of the best VA loan lenders is how to qualify for this type of loan. VA home loans are available to those that meet the following criteria:
- Active-duty or veteran of the military that served for either 90 days during wartime or peacetime service of 181 days
- National Guard members with 90 days of service during wartime or six years of service
- Spouses of military members who died in service
You must obtain a Certificate of Eligibility to present to your loan lender to prove you are eligible for a VA home loan.
While credit scores and credit history aren’t as crucial to a VA loan as a traditional loan, most lenders set the minimum requirement at 620, although some will accept scores as low as 580.
What Types of VA Loans Are Available in Pennsylvania?
There are four types of VA loans available:
- Purchase loan: Used to buy a home, property to build a home, or make eligible upgrades. Rates can be either fixed or adjustable. You must use a purchase loan to fund your primary residence. Some other restrictions apply. The limit you can borrow depends on your lender as the VA doesn’t place limits
- Interest Rate Reduction Refinance Loan (IRRRL): This type of loan is used to refinance your current VA loan to obtain a lower interest rate or change the terms
- Cash-out refinances loan: If you have equity built up in your home, this option will replace your current VA loan with more favorable terms
- Native American direct loan (NADL): These loans are for Native American veterans or spouses and can be used to purchase a home, build, or make improvements. The home must be located on federal trust land to qualify. The government funds and manages these loans directly
Each of these loan types has unique requirements. Explore all of your options before you decide which is right for your situation.
How Do I Apply for a VA Loan in Pennsylvania?
There are several steps to take when applying for a VA loan from one of the best VA loan lenders in Pennsylvania:
- Apply for and obtain a Certificate of Eligibility; you can do this online or by mail.
- Get prequalified to determine the loan amount you are eligible for.
- Choose a lender and apply with them directly.
- The lender requires a VA appraisal and will look into your credit history before deciding to make you an offer.
- For Native American Direct Loans, contact the VA loan center to apply.
- Compare rates and terms before selecting a loan offer.
Keep in mind that you can call your regional VA loan center with any questions and to get help with the process.
How Do I Select the Right Pennsylvania VA Loan Lender for Me?
The best approach to finding the VA loan lender that is best for you is to compare several offers to see what loan amounts, rates, and terms you qualify for.
Another important thing is to know and understand your credit history. Get familiar with your credit score and any negative items that could affect your approval. If you have a lower score, work with lenders willing to offer loans with minimal credit requirements.
Pay attention to the services that your chosen lender offers. The best VA loan lenders provide exceptional customer service, information and resources, accessibility, and constant guidance. It’s also a good idea to look at lenders that specialize in VA loans so they are familiar with the process to ensure all requirements are met and your loan is processed quickly.
Top 5 Best VA Loan Lenders in Pennsylvania Comparison Summary
- Best Feature: Wide variety of loans
- Mobile App: No
- Minimum Credit Score: 620
- Types of Loans: Every type available from the VA loan program, with the exceptions of HELOCs and home equity loans
- Best Feature: Excellent customer service
- Mobile App: Yes
- Minimum Credit Score: 620
- Types of Loans: Customized fixed-rate terms
- Best Feature: Lowest fees
- Mobile App: Yes
- Minimum Credit Score: 620
- Types of Loans: Purchase loans, jumbo loans, and IRRRL
- Best Feature: Great options for first-time homebuyers
- Mobile App: Yes
- Minimum Credit Score: Not Stated
- Types of Loans: HomeBuyers Choice Mortgage or Military Choice Mortgage
- Best Feature: Low loan rates
- Mobile App: Yes
- Minimum Credit Score: 620
- Types of Loans: 15-year fixed rate and 30-year fixed rate
Honorable Pa Mentions:
Final Thoughts on Selecting the Best VA Loan Lenders in Pennsylvania
If you are a former or current member of the military, you can take advantage of excellent terms with a VA loan. Even if you have a limited credit history or made some financial missteps in the past, the best VA loan lenders in Pennsylvania can help you find the right mortgage loan that works with your budget to get you into your dream home.
- Best Home Equity Loans in Pennsylvania
- Best Personal Loans in Pennsylvania
- Best Debt Consolidation Loans in Pennsylvania
- Best Personal Loans for Bad Credit
- Best No Credit Check Loans Guaranteed Approval
- Best Bad Credit Loans With Instant Approval
- Best Student Loan Refinance Companies in Pennsylvania
- Best Emergency Loans
- Best No Credit Check Loans